Seafood Nightmare: Woman’s Battle with ‘Flesh-Eating Bacteria’ After Undercooked Tilapia – Four Limbs Lost in Fight for Life

San Jose, California – In a harrowing incident that highlights the dangers of consuming undercooked seafood, a 40-year-old woman, Laura Barajas, has undergone the amputation of all four limbs after contracting a severe Vibrio vulnificus infection, commonly known as the “flesh-eating bacteria.”

According to a report by PEOPLE Magazine, the tragic incident occurred in July when Laura Barajas purchased tilapia from a local market and fell critically ill almost immediately after consuming it. Barajas, a loving mother to a six-year-old boy, unknowingly ingested the virulent Vibrio vulnificus bacteria through the undercooked tilapia, leading to a life-threatening infection.


Distraught by the severity of the situation, a close friend of Barajas, named Messina, stepped in and initiated a GoFundMe campaign to support her mounting medical expenses. Messina told local station KRON-4, “She almost lost her life. She was on a respirator. They put her into a medically induced coma. Her fingers were black, her feet were black, her bottom lip was black. She had complete sepsis, and her kidneys were failing.”


Barajas endured an agonizing month-long hospital stay as her condition worsened. Ultimately, her medical team was left with no choice but to amputate all four of her limbs in a desperate attempt to save her life.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued warnings about Vibrio vulnificus infection, emphasizing that it can be contracted from consuming raw or undercooked seafood, particularly oysters, shellfish, and, in this case, tilapia. Equally concerning is the risk of infection when an open wound comes into contact with raw or undercooked seafood or its juices mixed with saltwater.


Vibrio vulnificus infections can escalate rapidly and, in severe cases, lead to necrotizing fasciitis, a condition in which the flesh surrounding an open wound begins to die. The CDC underscores that early and aggressive medical intervention is vital for treating such infections, often involving surgical exploration and debridement of necrotic tissue.


Laura Barajas’s tragic ordeal serves as a grim reminder of the importance of proper food handling and preparation, especially when it comes to seafood. The consequences of undercooked seafood consumption can be severe, and individuals with open wounds should exercise caution to avoid contact with raw seafood and seawater.


As Barajas faces a long road to recovery and rehabilitation, her story has touched the hearts of many, prompting an outpouring of support through the GoFundMe campaign set up by her friend Messina. It underscores the resilience and strength of the human spirit in the face of adversity, as well as the need for greater awareness of food safety and the dangers posed by Vibrio vulnificus infections.

Like it? Share with your friends!

PH Trending